שיינע געדאנקן אויף ענגליש

ארטיקלען, אנאליזן, מיינונגען, געדאנקען, און שמועסן

שיינע געדאנקן אויף ענגליש

הודעהדורך סקרן » מיטוואך יאנואר 04, 2017 2:55 pm

In the Book of Genesis, the bible relates of the confrontation of two long estranged brothers. Jacob escaped from his parents’ home in fear of his brother Esau from whom he’d robbed their father’s final blessing. Now, when the scene is set, it is thirty-five years later and Jacob heard rumors that his brother is coming to meet him, so Jacob sent messengers to get exact details:

The messengers returned to Jacob, saying, “We came to your brother Esau; he himself is coming to meet you, and there are four hundred men with him.” Jacob was greatly frightened; in his anxiety, he divided the people with him, and the flocks and herds and camels, into two camps, thinking, ‘If Esau comes to the one camp and attacks it, the other camp may yet escape.’ Then Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, O Lord… I am unworthy of all the kindness that You have so steadfastly shown Your servant… Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; else, I fear, he may come and strike me down, mothers and children alike… After spending the night there, he selected from what was at hand these presents for his brother Esau… For he reasoned, “If I propitiate him with presents in advance, and then face him, perhaps he will show me favor.”” (Genesis 32:7-21)
Our sages take note that Jacob prepared for the dangerous encounter with three different methods, or plans.

War [see first bolded sentence]
Prayer [see second bolded sentence]
Bribery [see last bolded sentence]

Let’s examine theses three approaches and attempt to apply them to our own struggles in our day-to-day lives.

War
If examine the verses closely, we realize a fascinating phenomenon in Jacob’s approach to war. Our common understanding of war is, that two parties fight each other with the objection to defeat their enemy. Thus, the fate of the loser will determine the winner. In all of history I don’t think there was an army that fought purely defensive. Jacob, however, has no intention to harm Esau in any way. There’s no reference even to offensive warfare, like preparing weaponry or planning an ambush etc. from Jacob’s part. Moreover, our sages teach, that when the verse states that Jacob was frightened and anxious, “he was frightened he will get killed and anxious that he might kill others.”

Instead, Jacob’s strategy was, to separate a group of his people and take them off the battlefield; so that even Esau will triumph there will still be some who will survive. For, Jacob understood that Esau is an experiences warrior and has strong chances of winning. If Jacob would invest all energy and manpower at hand, he risked losing everything; and that’s a dangerous gamble. By removing the most he can from the eye of the storm he weakened his fortress and shifted the war to his disadvantage, but ensured a win outside of this particular battle.

In our struggle with ourselves, we have to learn from our ancestor Jacob. First and foremost, we should understand that as hard as we fight we stand a very strong chance of losing. That is not pessimistic, it is the reality we learn from our previous struggles. If we invest all our emotional strength and mind space for the subject in which we struggle, we risk complete decimation might we be defeated. Jacob teaches us to approach the battlefield i.e. smoking, alcohol, anger etc. by investing our energy in areas where we feel secure, where our positioned is not in jeopardy. For instance, if you are struggling with addiction engage in kindness; if you struggle with anger, be very truthful and wake up on time. This will make you feel good about yourself and ensure that even if you didn’t win over your enemy, you are not completely devastated, you still have something to yourself. You might be wounded and bruised, but you’re still standing on two feet.

Prayer
The undertone of Jacob’s prayer is utter hopelessness. He tells God, “I’m not worthy… I fear he may come and strike me down…” Jacob stared at his shortcomings and saw no path to victory. Esau was a hunter from young age, he was a man of the field; he was familiar with weaponry and physically built for strife. Jacob spent his time studying and shepherding, he didn’t know which way to hold a sword or a bow-and-arrow. Esau was a general of 400 men, Jacob was an exhausted father of twelve and husband of four wives. It would be foolish and suicidal for Jacob to think he is a match for Esau. So he surrendered and turned to God.

Let’s face it, we are weak. We need to make a living, raise children, build and sustain relationships, watch our health and balance responsibilities. We are tired and maxed out even before we appear on the battlefield. Our inclinations, on the other hand, have none of that. No job or family, no emotions or feeling, they only crave and lust. Their only job is to make us crazy by craving and lusting. For that they have an army of immorality and billion dollar industries targeting our intrigue and interest. The only match for our restless and relentless enemy is God. Surrendering to God in our area of test and outside of it, makes us stronger and safer. For God is Almighty and nothing can win over Him. By turning to Him and handing Him your weak sword, you chose the strongest General and undefeated Warrior.

Bribery
Jacob knew his brother well. He understood that an angry bloodthirsty man can be satisfied by a small gift and thereby avoiding or significantly minimizing the chance of face-to-face battle. In the same fashion, we should offer our craving beast what it appreciates before it challenges our morality or spirit. Good food with measure, safe sports that you enjoy, traveling to interesting place, balanced and steady sexual relationships, are all satisfying and will calm our lusting, or at least make them controllable.

My brothers and sisters, we live for this struggle. It was why we were born. “Man is born to trouble” (Job 5:7) Follow the lead of Jacob and you will survive. Maybe bruised and bleeding, but standing tall and proud!
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעות: 313
זיך רעגיסטרירט: פרייטאג מאי 20, 2016 1:22 pm
געפינט זיך: הלואי ווען איך וואלט געוויסט!
האט שוין געלייקט: 94 מאל
האט שוין באקומען לייקס: 168 מאל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דאנערשטאג יאנואר 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Hater's
Oh, dear haters

Why do you wake?

What keeps you alive

Satisfaction to take

You feel so empty

So blinded by light

Happiness of others

Stabs at your sight

You strive off misery

It fills your void

It soothes your pain

Yourself to avoid

You might be creative

You might be smart

What is it worth

If you don’t have a heart

You say you’re a victim

Somehow that condones

But murdering others

Never atones

So let us live

Spill no more blood

It will help you too

Unstuck from the mud

Spread love and peace

Vacuum fill with grace

You won’t feel so empty

It will lighten your face
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » זונטאג יאנואר 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Any hobby that I ever had, took me through four stages.

I got to know my hobby-to-be. I got a liking to it, and started to explore its ways and nature.
I fell madly in love and obsessively engaged in my hobby. Distracted myself from everything else and just spent days and nights carelessly, ceaselessly engulfed in my hobby. I ignored the basic responsibilities of life and bonded my soul to this hobby in the most intimate way.
I came to the realization that I’m completely invaded by whatever this former foreign entity was, and might be in mortal danger if i don’t act quickly. So I withdrew spontaneously, leaving a tremendous void in my soul.
I tried to find the right balance. Sometimes successfully and sometimes failing miserably.
By now, I’m neck-deep in step two, with my writing-blogging. Where it will take me from now? God knows. I’m full of adrenaline, excitement and creativity. But it may very well be heroin or Ecstasy in a different form. It is simultaneously fatal and lifesaving…

What did/would you do?
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » מאנטאג יאנואר 09, 2017 4:41 pm

My Dilemma
The morning sun breaks through the density of the dark forest night, signaling to me that another day dawned. A day like the many that preceded, one of ceaseless search and hopeless attempts of finding my out of this lonely nightmarish forest, to the Promised Land. The map I acquired was insufficient for it was written in old letters and the diagrams seemed outdated. So I decided to find the path on my own, but I admit I failed terribly. For the landscape is more complex than I estimated and I don’t have the requisite experience of navigation in situations like these. So I climbed high mountains and swam through rivers progressing slowly to what I thought to be the way to freedom, but after weeks of excruciating physical work I realized it was all in vain. I had drifted yet deeper into the dark.

Heartbroken and despaired I continue on my quest, and to my surprise I confront a crossroads. A fork forming two divergent paths is displayed before my eyes. To the right, I see a road cemented with granite, evidently paved thousands of years ago and endured with pride and majesty. It survived the earthquakes and natural disaster, outlived the seasonal storm and prevailed over catastrophe. With a closer look at the pavement I recognize my father’s footprints and the signatures of many ancestors. They marched proudly on this way confident and doubtless, leading the way for their youngsters to follow. The sprouts of grass in the cracks of the road tell me my mother cried while trekking this hike, watering the lost seeds in the road. It is this same trail that led to the Temple and Mezbuszh, to the universities in Babylon and exile in Siberia.

Yet, to the left is another road, contrasting its parallel not in durability but in beauty. Trees baring exotic fruit create a shade and protection from above and vineyards form a shelter for the passenger along the way. The pavement is coated with a bed of roses, fresh water gushing down the brook at her side, and the aroma of lemons mixed with fresh berries fill the atmosphere. Melodious birds sing in harmony to the sound of a spring breeze to the oak trees, offering a symphony unprecedented in music. It is this path that produced the philosophy of Maimonides and the peoms of Halevi, the art of Beethoven and the genius of Einstein.

But with much contemplation I realize that as pleasing it might be, it is at least as daring. Yes, its plains are richer than the former but it’s endangered by the cruel winter storm, and even from the thorns that inevitably hide behind pretty flowers. Its destiny is unknown, thus maximizing the potential of an explorer offering him a vastness of opportunity and quality, while also explaining rumors we heard of hikers that drifted off to uninhabited worlds and were never found.

Only one path can be experienced to the fullest. The former offers certainty and security, the latter is tempting, appealing and seductive. I sit on a rock at the parting of the roads and burst out in tears, tortured by conflicting interests, and in pain of being ripped in two
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דינסטאג יאנואר 10, 2017 3:45 pm

I recently wrote of my obsession with blogging and writing [I put it into poem form too]. It is something that I am thinking a lot about lately. I found that since I began blogging, I started to write more frequently to keep up with the pace of the blogging culture. While the pressure to ‘keep up’ forced me out of laziness and encouraged me to record thoughts that were just gathering dust, there was a negative component to this ‘keep up’ atmosphere.

Let’s face the fact. We do not have brainstorms every day that are worthy publicizing. Maybe some of our thoughts are worth remembering, others might be interesting to close friends, but the majority of what rides our brain waves are absolutely useless and not interesting to the world at large. That is why we have a rug. The rug is that space in our brain under where we discard all useless information to rot for everlasting eternity. It is that same rug, which consequently differentiates between our good materials that we hope to refine and revise until it is ready for the public, and our mundane thoughts, which the community would gain if they were forgotten.

Writing is not a selfish activity. Writing, in its very essence is a vehicle with which we can transmit thoughts and information that is for the public benefit, or the opposite. In the near past and present, for instance, among tens of thousands of others we had Heimlich’s Maneuver, Penicillin, Einstein’s theory, Marx’s Communism, Hitler’s Nazism, Orwell’s vision, Tolstoy’s stories, Rowling’s imagination, Peanuts’ depictions, and Gladwell’s speculations in one form of writing or another. Selfish writing is an oxymoron. That is why we have memory and personal cameras. And most importantly the gift of forgetting unimportant thoughts.

That is until the world of blogging. Blogging and social media destroyed that rug. They obliterated the concept of thinking before talking/writing/photographing. They convince us, that whatever crosses our paths is noteworthy and ‘postworthy.’ Therefore, when scrolling down the Reader and checking out what people write, I wonder. I wonder why it is important to me what someone’s dog ate for midday snack. I wonder why I needed to know about someone’s sister-in-law’s-neighbors-best-friend’s breakup or birthday. I wonder why people can’t keep anything to themselves anymore. I wonder what forces people to write when they do not have what to say.

My frustration peeked yesterday. I read some new post; it came across as poor, raw and irrelevant. I was deeply saddened. It was my latest post
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דאנערשטאג יאנואר 12, 2017 2:06 pm

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21)
I usually write out of inspiration; I first have an idea, poem, senseless piece of thought-garbage etc., then an impulse forces me to grab a pen and inscribe the thought, and then perfect it and then post it here online for everlasting life. Not so today, though. Today, I don’t know what to write. I don’t even have an idea of which direction I want to take this post. I’m not writing to say something. I’m writing because I can’t remain silent!

I have an unspoken policy on my blog (that I’m about to break). Like most Americans, and even many non-Americans, I have opinions regarding the recent US election. But I’ve never mentioned them or spoken about them here on this blog. For me my blog has always been a haven free of the strife, hate and bad feelings that politics brings. The world is divided enough without me I don’t need to add gasoline to the fire.

But what I saw today forced me to break my rule, for there was a red line that was crossed. When I first saw the meme proposing an “extermination” of one of the worlds largest faiths, I refuse to believe my eyes. What bothered me was not so much that some crazy person can post such a picture, I always knew terrible people exist. However, the fact that so many thousands of people liked reposted and commented favorably to that horrendous meme is terrifying. Did they even think what they were “liking”? We’re not talking about killing a serial killer, a rapist or cannibals, we’re talking about wiping out hundreds of millions of men, women, children, families, communities and countries, across every continent!

So you say, don’t take it so seriously, don’t be so technical, it was just a joke… and I say A JOKE? You’re joking about wiping out hundreds of millions of innocent people? What’s wrong with you? Who makes jokes of this sort? A decent human being wouldn’t exterminate flock of sheep… Did we not learn anything from recent history? We cannot afford to let demagogues preach hate and violence and simply let it go. [I didn’t compare anyone to Hitler, I would never. I just said that we have to learn from history.]

So, my dear Muslim brothers and sisters, as a Jew who has very clear and vivid imagery of the manifestation of ‘extermination’ threats, I shout out today NEVER AGAIN! It is not the first time in the election that people made terrible comments about your faith and your communities, but perhaps the snake of Islamomphobia is more poisonous than I thought. And I pray to God that people see its danger and kill that serpent before it kills all of us. For hate unleashed knows no borders, language, color or background.

And love is the same, in that way. So rather let’s engage in love and embrace each other, and our differences. In harmony and peace.
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » זונטאג יאנואר 15, 2017 2:17 pm

Ever since I can recall, there was a dream in my heart.

The day will come and I will climb the hill and reach the Land of Promise, the promise of quiet and peace. It is an atmosphere where the sun shines but does not burn, the wolves cry but do not scare. I will assemble the sheep in the meadow by the shrill of my whistle, walk them to the brook and comfort them with the song of my flute. I can visualize the birds chirping in the blue sky, a breeze stroking the tree’s branches like a harp adding harmony and magnificence to my tune. This melody exists only in my dreams for its scales are too delicate and sound too tender to be recorded and played outside of that Land.

After many years obsessing with this thought, I decided to embark on my quest for the Promised Land. The next morning at dawn, my flute in tow and an old map I started my journey with optimism and joy. I past by towns and villages the countryside and major cities, the farther I traveled from my hometown the surroundings seemed foreign and the population more strange. Their language sounded dull and their stories were boring, their music was flat and wine was sour, they did not understand my mission and I did not appreciate their humor. Therefore, I decided to disregard their opinion and progress to my destiny.

The map I drew guided me on the highway through tunnels and across bridges, and eventually expired only leaving a trace of a dirt path leading into the dense forests. Lonely and lost I try to follow this path uncertain of the footprints I am trailing and in whom I am putting my trust. As a blanket of darkness descended on the woods at dusk, I sat down on a tree stump and let my thoughts drift far away- to my homeland. I regret my decision. I should have stayed near my family. Why did I put myself in danger? Will I ever get to the Promised Land? Is the Promised Land accessible?

After tiring moments of meditation, I wiped the sweat off my forehead and attempted to find my way, but fell to the ground. I could not go anymore, for the darkness was blinding. I lay on the ground griping my flute and cried myself to sleep. In my head I hear a voice:

“My son, why have thee to this chaos arrive
Where does your young spirit strive?”

My angel, the Promised Land I put my goal
I will find there tranquility for my soul

“Oh, my dear son the way is so very long
Dangerous and weakening even for the strong
Climb onto my wings I will carry you there
Your instrument leave it’s heavy to bear.”

No. I shall never cut the way or fly any wing.
If my music will be muted and my heart won’t sing

With that, I awoke to a thunderstorm raging in the forest. I picked my flute up and trekked forward, deeper into the night
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דינסטאג יאנואר 17, 2017 3:41 pm

The Story of Lonely Faith

As our patriarch Jacob prepared to depart from this world, he summoned his son, Joseph, the vice king of Egypt, and his two children Ephraim and Manasseh for final blessings. Jacob then exclaimed to Joseph:

And now your two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine. Your offspring whom you beget after them, shall be yours; they will be called by the name of their brothers in their inheritance.” (Genesis 48:5-6)
Basically, Jacob “kidnapped” Ephraim and Manasseh, and left Joseph with the children that will be born thereafter. Which makes us ask, why? What is so special and unique about Joseph’s children in contrast to the children of Levi and Benjamin? Secondly, why did Jacob superfluously mention the time-frame of their birth, emphasizing that it was before he’d come to Egypt? Finally, being that Jacob was a prophet, he probably knew that Joseph won’t have any other children from that point on (as it is evident from the future census’ in the book of Numbers and elsewhere); what, then, was the point of engaging Joseph in the status of his irrelevant ‘future children?’

Before we address these questions, perhaps let’s observe the nature of counterculture movements. (I think that is redundant, for a movement that is not counterculture is not really a movement, it is another fraction of society.)

The pattern is almost always identical. There’s a guy that comes up with a revolutionary idea, he is instantaneously rejected by everyone besides for a small group of people that are drawn to his personality or who can identify with his message. The followers’ passion for the movement allows them to abandon their families and communities; to accept shun and mockery, and sometimes even torture and death. They then raise their children and students with the teachings of the leader, and eventually the children, too, will pass it on.

The second generation, however, is very different than their precursors. They don’t have to leave their families, for their families are in this community. They are not persecuted nor shunned, for in their circles they are just like everyone else. Basically, for the second generation it is not counterculture, it is common society. Consequently, the vigor, passion, excitement and fervor that fueled the founding of the movement dies down and dries up.

Jacob lived in pagan Canaan, but believed in One God. He raised twelve children by the Word of that God; and taught them that the norms of society as they know it, are immoral. His children saw idolatry wherever they went; whether it was in the pasture with fellow shepherds or in the market selling goods, their cousins from all five sides were devout worshipers of the pagan gods. They lived in constant strife with all that surrounded them. Their children, in contrast, grew up in Jacob’s extended home. They joined their fathers in the field and had many cousins with whom to study the teachings of their grandfather. They didn’t know much of Canaanite culture.

At the same time, Joseph was raising Ephraim and Manasseh in Egypt, the leader of the pagan world. Their grandfather, Potiphe-Ra, was a priest in the Temple of the Egyptian sun god Ra; and the palaces in which they were raised housed more idols than people. Idolatry and Egypt were inseparable and even synonyms, yet Joseph taught them of the One God and related to them the lessons that he’d learned from his father.

Ephraim and Manasseh are a story of two lonely brothers who lived indifferent to the entire world and culture that surrounded them, by the teachings of a prophet they’ve never met. Thus the words of Jacob:

…your two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine
However, once Jacob was in Egypt with his whole clan, rejecting Egyptian gods was no big deal. To emphasize this point Jacob elaborated:

Your offspring whom you beget after them, shall be yours…
We can visualize a young Ephraim standing on a palatial balcony overlooking the capital city, battling with himself to reject all his eyes saw. We feel the same as we walk in the streets of the twenty-first century and try to resist the overwhelming seductions of common culture. What keeps me strong, is when i let my conscience hear Jacob tell me: “your sons who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt… they shall be mine…”
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » מאנטאג יאנואר 23, 2017 3:12 pm

The labor of thought
Through the forest of doubt

The path to clarity is paved

The darkness of confusion

Ignites the torch of wisdom

By torturous labor pangs

Destiny of peace is reached

Yet like suffering of childbearing

When seeing the fruit produced

All pain seems worthwhile

But sometimes I feel

I’ve conceived my thought

Carried my doubts

Developed my ideas

And given birth to a stillborn
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דאנערשטאג יאנואר 26, 2017 3:47 pm

God’s Hide-and-Seek Game

There’s a Hasidic tale related, of the Holy Ba’al Shem Tov (The Master of the Good Name), that his two grandchildren, Baruch and Ephraim were playing hide-and-seek. Baruch hid behind a tree and eagerly waited for Ephraim to start his search. Ephraim, however, wasn’t in the mood of searching, so he distracted himself with other childish games and entirely forgot about his brother in hiding. Baruch waited, and waited, and waited and no one was coming to look for him. When he realized what had happened he sat beside the tree and wept bitterly.

The Holy Besh”t, sitting in the forest in meditation was suddenly distracted by the crying voice of a child. The Besh”t followed the voice and discovered it to be his grandson, Baruch. He sat down near Baruch and asked what was wrong. “I hid, and hoped Ephraim would come and look for me, meanwhile he didn’t even try. He didn’t care that I was waiting. He didn’t care to play without me!”

The Besh”t’s eyes filled with tears, he looked at his grandchild, and said: “now you know, Baruch, what God feels like!”
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דאנערשטאג יאנואר 26, 2017 3:49 pm

God’s Wall

One of the greatest privileges of living in Jerusalem, is that you can visit the Western Wall at any given time for just $1.75!

The Western Wall is a small remnant of the majestic Herodian wall that encircled the Temple Mount. The wall served as a fortification for the Temple, but more importantly, it was the border of the common world and the Divine. Outside these walls is the world of money, power, greed and lust; within these walls is God’s Presence, and therefore, love, charity, blessing and purity.

In 70 C.E. when the Romans conquered the Holy Land and destroyed its cities, the Jews of Jerusalem found refuge in the Temple. The people were protected by the Temple, and the Temple was protected by the mountain’s Wall. When the wall finally succumbed to the enemy’s lethal blows, the Temple and Jewish life in their homeland were immediately destroyed, too.

Yet, like her people, the Wall was not completely destroyed; her western part survived.
Like her people, the Wall changed hands from century to century, from one kingdom to another, but was not weakened by forces wishing to compromise her dignity and loyalty to her purpose.
Like her people, while it is ironic to refer to the small surviving fragment as grandeur, you cannot help feel so when looking upon her strength and perseverance.
Like her people, we can mourn the loss of her full glory by appreciating the small portion that still stands.

The Jewish people always felt connected to the Western Wall, for to us, this Great Wall is not just a structure built of stone; it is the story of our existence and the miracle of our survival. When praying at the Wall we confide with the only friend that understands and the only shoulder upon where we can shed a tear. We came from Spain in 1492, from Poland in 1648, from Lithuania in 1914, from Germany in 1936, and every year in between; poured our anguish into the cracks of the Wall, and the Wall silently cried with us, sharing similar fate. Indeed a Wailing Wall.

But at the same time, the Wall gives us great hope. It shows us that even if we are severely injured we can never be wiped out. Even if others rule over us, we can stand tall and strong as ever. It is why you can see marriage ceremonies and Bar Mitzva celebrations among other festivities in the Kotel Plaza, we don’t only come to mourn in pain; we also come to to celebrate blessing.

The bricks of this Wall are cemented together by tears of joy and hope. And millions of notes
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » פרייטאג יאנואר 27, 2017 11:56 am

נישט פון Hasidic.me

Hashem's Cop

The 350 Mehadrin bus from Bnei Brak to Ashdod is normally jammed, but at 3 PM more than half the seats were still vacant. Four young women in slacks, obviously not from the charedi or religious neighborhoods along the route, boarded the bus at the stop adjacent to the Coca Cola factory in Bnei Brak. Rather than moving to the rear of the bus, they sat down demonstratively in the front two rows seats on the right side of the bus. Some of the male passengers were baffled; two others decided to get off the bus. A Breslover Chassid, sitting across the young ladies on the left side of the bus simply closed his eyes and smiled. This was not a reaction that the headline-seeking heroines were looking for, having so boldly entered the mobile charedi “lion’s den.”

No one yelled at the fearless four, women’s-rights or democracy activists in their late twenties. No one even spoke to them. There was nothing to document on their cell-phone videos. What a waste! Well, at least they might be able to take a nice walk on the beach in Ashdod…

If there’s no news, then make the news! One of the young woman got out of her seat (while the three others were poised with their cell-phone video cameras, waiting to pounce on the action they hoped would come) and stood next to the Breslover, whose toothy smile would have done justice to any Crest or Colgate commercial.

“Hey, why can’t you look at me?” the young lady asked abrasively, obviously itching for a conflict.

“Do you want your husband looking at other young women?” the Breslover responded.

“I’m not married,” she said.

“I bless you that you should find your soul-mate this year!”

The activist wasn’t ready for this turn in the conversation. She needed to steer things differently. “What are you so happy about with that imbecilic grin of yours?”

“In Torah 282 of Likutei Moharan, Rebbe Nachman teaches us to appreciate our good points and to be happy with every little mitzvah we do; and in Torah 17, first part, Rebbe Nachman says that the slightest good deed that a person does makes a tremendous impression in the upper spiritual realms…”

The activist was getting more and more impatient. This was not the action she was looking for, wasting half a day on a bus ride going someplace where she didn’t need to go. “So what,” she snapped.

“You asked me why I’m smiling. I’m answering you. I never thought that riding a Mehadrin bus was a big deal; I mean, it didn’t seem to be such a great mitzvah. But if the Yetzer Hara is going to such lengths to bother me on this bus ride, then it must be really significant in shamayim that men and women don’t mix. This morning, when I was learning Tosefot on Baba Kama, the Yetzer wasn’t bothering me as much as he is now. Thank You, Hashem, for giving the mitzva of riding this bus.” With eyes shut, he turned at the activist and added, “And thank you, cherished sister, for adding to my rewards in the World to Come.”

The young lady’s antagonism was melting into frustration. She was obviously the ring-leader, and her three sisters-in-arms were eagerly awaiting to see how she’d react. Their game plan (or battle plan) to wave the flag of women’s rights on the Mehadrin bus didn’t anticipate a frontal confrontation with a Breslover…

“What do you people smoke that gets you so spaced out?” she chided.

“I’ll admit that I’m high, dearest sister, but that comes from tallit, tefillin, Torah, and an hour of talking to Hashem every day.”

“What’s with this ‘dearest’ and ‘cherished sister’ garbage?”

“You see,” explained the Breslever, “your soul and mine both are a tiny part of Godliness. We have the same Father; you don’t need a PhD in genealogy from Hebrew University to know that we’re brother and sister. Besides, the Torah says so explicitly…”

“Are you the real deal or are you just putting on a good show?”

“If I invite you and your girlfriends for Shabbat…,” meanwhile removing his kosher cellphone from his shirt pocket, about to dial his wife’s number, “will you come? When you taste Shabbat and my wife’s cooking, you’ll understand how much Hashem loves you, and so do we.”

Squirming and completely off guard, the activist snarled, “You’re wife is probably an illiterate cook and bottle washer pregnant with her twelfth - what would she and I have in common?”

The Breslover chuckled. “No, my wife is only pregnant with our eighth. But you’ll like her -she has a MBA in Finance from the University of Tel Aviv. Besides, she was a sergeant in the Artillery Corps of the IDF, an army medic and a training-base instructor in first aid. She even served in Lebanon for two months…”

“What?! Don’t tell me you were in the army too?”

“Yeh, I admit it. I was a tank commander. Then I did a degree in Communication from UTA. That’s where my wife and I met…”

All the stereotypes were crumbling. The four activists were disarmed. No fight, no arguments, no protests - only an invitation for Shabbat…

The activist tried one last effort. She sat down next to the Breslever. This will surely get his goat and make him lose his cool, she thought.

He still smiled, but a tear trickled down his cheek.

“Why are you crying?” she asked, jolted by this additional surprise. Her compassion was a sign of the Jewish soul that shined from deep within her.

“I’m not really the prude that you think. But I love my wife and want her face to be the only female image in my brain. You, dear sister, are a Bat Yisroel, a Jewish daughter. Every Bat Yisroel is beautiful. Please, I wouldn’t embarrass you by getting up. But I’m not a holy man - I wish I were. You’re really testing me. You are a moral young lady; would you steal something from a pregnant woman with seven children? By making me look at you, you’d be stealing some of my affection for my wife. I’m sure that’s not your intention.”

Gently, as if walking on eggs, the young lady stood up. “I’m so sorry,” she said, showing her true delicate and considerate inner self. “I never thought of it that way. Besides, if all the charedim were like you, things would be different.

“Are all of you this nice? I mean, you don’t try to act like Hashem’s cop.” She surprised herself by saying ‘Hashem.’ Since when do such words come out of an ultra-liberal libertarian feminist’s mouth?

“I only try to police myself.”

The bus arrived at the Breslever’s station in Ashdod’s Rova Gimel. The Breslever got up but added, “Let us know if you’re coming for Shabbat…”
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » פרייטאג יאנואר 27, 2017 11:58 am

אויך נישט פון Hasidic.me

NAILS IN THE FENCE

Make sure you
read all the way down to the last sentence.

(Most importantly the last sentence)

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence . Over the next
few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all.

He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.< /b>

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, 'You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. But It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound will still be there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.

Remember that friends are very rare jewels, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share words of praise and they always want to open
their hearts to us..'

It's National Friendship Week. Show your friends how much you care. Send this to everyone you consider a
FRIEND, even if it means sending it
back to the person who sent it to you! If it comes back to you, you will then know you have a circle of friends.

YOU ARE MY FRIEND AND I AM HONORED!

Now send this to every friend you have!! And to your family (they need to know that yo u love them too).

Please forgive me if I have ever left a 'hole' in your fence.
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » פרייטאג יאנואר 27, 2017 12:00 pm

BEST LAWYER/INSURANCE STORY OF THE YEAR, DECADE, AND POSSIBLY THE CENTURY.

This actually took place in Charlotte, North Carolina.

A lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against, among other things, fire.

Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars, the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost 'in a series of small fires.'

The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason, that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued and WON!

Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company, in which it had warranted that the cigars were

insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable 'fire' and was obligated to pay the claim.

Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the cigars that perished in the 'fires'.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!! With his own insurance claim and testimony from

the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine.

This true story won First Place in last year's Criminal Lawyers Award contest.

ONLY IN AMERICA .... NO WONDER THE REST OF THE WORLD THINKS WE'RE NUTS.
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » דינסטאג יאנואר 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Maimonides
It's hard to finish the sentence. No praise can do justice and no words can encapsulate the magnificence of this brilliant light, eternal fountain of wisdom, and bright star in the skies of our history. He was a physician by profession, a philosopher by nature, and by heart, a teacher and student of Jewish Law. I won't tire myself and try to write a short bio, that's what Wikipedia is for. (Obviously, expect some inaccurate information and flawed judgement there, as you shall always.)
Anyway, in his theological defense of rationalism titled "Guide for the Perplexed," he dedicates over 40 chapters to explain anthropomorphism in the bible, and how they be appropriately related to the Divine. In chapter 7 he addresses the word מקום :place) when referring to God
Generally, the term מקום (place, space) applied both to a particular spot and to [the concept of] space in general. Subsequently, it received a wider signification and denoted "position," or “degree,"... We say, this man occupies a certain place in such and such a subject. And is frequently used by authors, e.g., "He fills his ancestors' place in point of wisdom and piety"

In the verse, "Blessed be the glory of the Lord from His ‘place’" (Ezekiel 3:12), ‘place’ has this figurative meaning, and the verse may be paraphrased: "Blessed be the Lord according to the exalted nature of His existence," and wherever מקום (place) is applied to God, it expresses the same idea, namely, the distinguished position of His existence…

What he's saying, is that while place usually defines a physical area or in a figurative sense, one's position; when attributed to the Divine it refers to His Position as an Omnipotent and Almighty Being.

Then Maimonides adds an insightful twist.
We find, that God invited Moses to join Him in His Place, according to what we've just explained that would be impossible
But you must understand that the word מקום (place) has the same signification in the passage "Behold, a place is with me" (Exodus 33:26), it means a certain degree of contemplation and intellectual intuition, in addition to its literal meaning "a place," being the mountain which was pointed out to Moses for seclusion and for the attainment of perfection.
He's saying that God told Moses to climb to the mountain's peek and stay there, but that is not God's Place; it is a secluded place in the world of people. God told Moses to rise to an elevated dimension of conscientiousness, to enter a Divine state of mind and thereby join God's Place.

Please digest this point for a second before we take this further... Okay, that was enough time.

I've always been drawn to the reality that in our mundane world, no matter how close two people get, they are always divided by space. People, like bricks cemented together, will forever remain two separate entities shackled together; we can never really unite for the laws of physics simply won't allow it. This handicap, consequently creates a subconscious animosity between people; for everyone is in competition over space. By merely existing you are invading my space and stealing area that I could've occupied. Everything under the sun, in this sense, really resents each other.

However, Maimonides teaches us, this unspoken strife exists only in the physical realm where space is an actual thing. If we abandon our divisive, mundane world and climb to the mountain peek, connect our minds and soul to the place where God Alone exists, we blend into genuine Oneness.

So, let's stop looking through the lens of physicality and let's love one another beyond the barrier of flesh, for we will remain estranged and even enemies. If we can elevate ourselves and connect to each other in the World of Souls we can attain true harmony and unity
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » מיטוואך פעברואר 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Flying and Falling
When I was young I dreamt I was flying

Taller than mountains, vaster than sea

Over fields of never ending green

Rivers and rain forest and deserts

Animals and beasts and fish

People of white brown and olive

I was above all. I was gliding free

I went to a sage, an old wise man

And asked him if I can live my dream

He told me he’ll teach me to fly

We walked to a mountain

a cliff at its side

He showed me the view

it looked just like my dream

He gave me the confidence

and convinced me to jump and fly

I fell and fell until I hit rock bottom

My feet were broken my hands torn

I was bleeding and bruising

I was withering in pain

The old man was gone

I came back to my village

I needed cure and help

Not for broken limbs

for broken dreams, broken trust

A went to the old sage, I cried

He looked at me with love and compassion

Why? I asked

My son,

If you want to pursue your dream

If you want to know how to fly

you first need to know how to fall
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » זונטאג פעברואר 05, 2017 5:05 pm

My little War of Independence
Parenting is complicated, to say the least. It’s the lesson we learnt in adolescence; when our parents were selfish, paranoid, control-freaks. It was then, when we swore by our conscience that we will give our children all the ‘space’ and ‘independence’ in the world and God forbid not perpetuate the closed parenting we inherited.

About 30 months ago as I embraced my little newborn daughter, I looked forward to some years of our mutual understanding before the ordeals of her teens. In two years she learned how to smile, crawl, giggle, sit, eat, play, walk, run, destroy, talk, and blabble uncontrollably. All the while, we were more-less on the same page.

A few weeks ago, she decided that she knows how to put her pants on “alone.” I let her try, and after five minutes she pretty much got half way through, and started chanting “hooray!” I was proud and so was she, it was another milestone in her cute little life. This phenomenon went on for another few days, and it got less cute and more annoying. She insisted that I don’t help her and she’s fully capable; and I knew that her pants were sideways and stuck somewhere around the 50 yard line. And five minutes is not so cute before my morning coffee.

One morning, after forcefully putting her pants on for her, I looked in her eyes and read them telling me “you selfish, paranoid, control-freak!” I felt terrible. So, I realized, while I still do know better than her, and when she’ll grow up I’ll tell her she was a fool for arguing with me when her pants were backwards and inside-out, I have to stand by watch her make mistakes and let her learn. Otherwise I’ll still be dressing her when she’s twenty.

I guess we want our children to win their War of Independence; my only question is, at what cost?
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » מיטוואך יולי 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Oh, Jerusalem
We heard your tales

We sang your songs

We drew your portrait

We never forgot

We always loved you

for your eternal beauty

Your heavenly splendor

Your humble grace

Nay, you didn’t posses

What other capitols celebrate

You have neither massive bridges

Nor majestic palaces

No statues or arts

No monuments to victories

No alps or beaches

No music or culture

Not even natural greenery

But we didn’t care for that

For we were seduced by

your narrow dirt roads

Your donkey and camel

Your barefoot children

Your tragic desolation

Your ruins

Your story…

(to be continued…)
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

הודעהדורך סקרן » מיטוואך יולי 05, 2017 1:45 pm

סקרן האט געשריבן:
אויך נישט פון Hasidic.me

NAILS IN THE FENCE

Make sure you
read all the way down to the last sentence.

(Most importantly the last sentence)

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence . Over the next
few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all.

He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.

The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.< /b>

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, 'You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. But It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound will still be there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.

Remember that friends are very rare jewels, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share words of praise and they always want to open
their hearts to us..'

It's National Friendship Week. Show your friends how much you care. Send this to everyone you consider a
FRIEND, even if it means sending it
back to the person who sent it to you! If it comes back to you, you will then know you have a circle of friends.

YOU ARE MY FRIEND AND I AM HONORED!

Now send this to every friend you have!! And to your family (they need to know that yo u love them too).

Please forgive me if I have ever left a 'hole' in your fence.

איך קוק איבער די מעשה און איך ווער מורי'דיג נתפעל נאכאמאל און נאכאמאל
באניצער אוואטאר
סקרן
ידיד השטיבל
ידיד השטיבל

גיי צוריק קאווע שטיבל

ווער איז יעצט דא?

באניצער וואס לייענען דעם פארום: נישטא קיין אנליין באניצער און 4 געסט