חבר ותיק
הודעות: 2352
זיך רעגיסטרירט: זונטאג סעפטעמבער 22, 2013 3:05 am
געפינט זיך: אין מאחורי
האט שוין געלייקט: 2921 מאל
האט שוין באקומען לייקס: 3226 מאל

אינטערעסאנטע בריוו פון בארימטע פיגורן

שליחה דורך אפטעמיסט »

אסאך מאל שטויס איך מיך אן אין גאר אינטערעסאנטע, רייכע, היסטארישע, שפאנענדע און סתם באלערענדע בריוו. קלער איך ס'וואלט געוועהן כדאי מעתיק צו זיין די בריוו להחיות בהם נפש כל חי.
אט איז א בריוו וואס דער באקאנטער אידישער ארעסטאנט ג'ונתן פאלארד האט געשריבן צו זיין פאמיליע פון תפיסה:
אמא ואבא יקרים,
לאור ערעורי בפני בית המשפט לערעורים של ארצות הברית והתמיכה הנדיבה שהפגינו אנשים ברחבי העולם לטיעון המשפטי של ערעורי, אני מרגיש שיהיה זה יאה מצידי לצאת בהצהרה הבאה:
תמיד קיבלתי את העובדה שאינני מעל החוק ושמגיע לי להיענש על פעולותי, יהיו מניעיהן טובים ככל שהאמנתי. בו בזמן התמודדתי עם דילמה אכזרית - חשבתי שיהיה עלי לבחור בין החוק לבין מצפוני. הסכנה לקיומה של ישראל כפי שתפשתי אותה היתה כה חמורה, שבאופן אינסטינקטיבי העדפתי פעולה על פני הרהור. כעת אני יודע שזו היתה טעות. הייתי צריך לעשות מאמץ לגלות פתרון חוקי למצב הקשה שמולו עמדתי. על טעות זו בשיקול הדעת אני מצטער עמוקות.
כמו כן אני מתחרט על ההשפעה המזיקה שהיתה לפעולותי על ארצות הברית ועל הקהילה היהודית בה. הנני, ותמיד הייתי, גאה מאוד להיות אזרח של ארץ זו. יתרה מכך, נאמנותם של היהודים האמריקנים למדינתם ולחוקיה היתה והינה איתנה ורבת עוצמה. למעשה, היהודים האמריקנים היו והינם תומכים קפדניים של המערכת המשפטת שלנו, במידה רבה מפני שהם יודעים שהחוק האמריקני שלנו הוא המעוז העיקרי מול קנאות נגד קבוצות מיעוט. בצעדים שנקטתי, כשלתי בהבנת הטבע הקריטי של עמדה זו ובהבנת התחמושת שפעולותי סיפקו לכל מי שעלול לרצות ולהאשים את היהודים האמריקנים בנאמנות כפולה.
במהלך שש השנים האחרונות בכלא, שקלתי גם את השאלה כיצד ומדוע, למרות האידיאליזם שלי לגבי העולם ולגבי מקומה של מדינת ישראל בו, הייתי מסוגל לפעולות שנקטתי. לתשובה הגעתי, אני חושב, דרך הבגרות שנוספה לי מאז יום מאסרי. בעייתי לא נבעה מנאמנות כפולה, אלא מחרדה שהעבר יחזור על עצמו אם לא אתערב. לרוע המזל, לא הערכתי נכון את העובדה שחרדות כאלה לא הצדיקו את התעלמותי מן החוק. עם זאת, במעמקי תודעתי, סיוע לבת ברית לא דרש או היה כרוך בבגידה בארצות הברית. מעולם לא חשבתי שקידום בטחונה של ישראל יסכן בדרך כלשהי את האינטרסים האסטרטגיים של אמריקה. אבל שיקול הדעת הזה לא היה צריך להיות שלי.
אני אומר כל זאת לא כדי להצדיק את מה שעשיתי, אלא כהסבר לחברי ולמשפחתי, כדי שיוכלו להבין מדוע עשיתי שגיאות שגרמו לאנשים שאני אוהב ומעריך לסבול בצורה כה חמורה. באופן טבעי אני מקווה שהערעור שלי יתקבל, כי אני מאמין בכל לב שיש ערך מהותי למקרה שלי, בייחוד בנוגע לעונש הבלתי הולם שקיבלתי. אך תהיה התוצאה אשר תהיה, דבר לא ישנה את החרטה שאני חש בעקבות פעולותי.
באהבה,
ג'ונתן

פאלגענד איז א בריוו וואס א פרומע אידישע אמעריקאנער טאטע האט געשריבן צו פרעזידענט עיברעהם לינקלאן, בעטענדיג ער זאל ערלויבן זיין זין, א סאלדאט אין די ארמיי, צו היטן שבת:

To His Excellency Abraham Lincoln, the President of the United States.

By your order of the 16th day of November, 1862, you recommend that the officers and men of the army shall observe the Sabbath and do no work on Sunday, because we are a Christian people. But according to the Declaration of Independence and according to the constitution of the United States, the people of the United States is not a Christian people, but a free, sovereign people with equal rights, and each and every citizen of the United States has the right and liberty to live according to his own consciousness in religious matters, and no one religious denomination, be it a majority or minority of the people, can have a privilege before the other under this our beloved constitution.

Now by the order of your Excellency you give the privilege to those officers and men in the army who by their religious creed do observe the Sunday as a holy day and a day of rest; but you make no provision for those officers and men in the army who do not want to observe the Sunday as a holy day, (as for instance those Christians called the Seventh-day Baptists and the Jews, who observe the Saturday as a hold day and a day of rest,) that they may enjoy the same privilege as those who observe the Sunday as a holy day, as well as for the heathen or the so called infidels, who do not want to celebrate either the Sunday or the Saturday as a Sabbath, but choose perhaps some other day as a day of rest.

Now I stand before you as your namesake Abraham stood before G-d Almighty in days of yore, and asked, "Shall not the Judge of all earth do justice?" so I ask your Excellency, the first man and President of all the United States, Shall you not do justice? shall you not give the same privilege to a minority of the army that you give to the majority of it? I beseech you to make provision, and to proclaim in another order, that also all those in the army who celebrate another day as the Sunday may be allowed to celebrate that day which they think is the right day according to their own conscience; and this will be exactly lawful, as the Constitution of the United States ordains it, and at the same time it will be exactly according to the teaching of the Bible, as recorded in Leviticus xix. 18: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

I gave my consent to my son, who was yet a minor, that he should enlist in the United States army; I thought it was his duty, and I gave him my advice to fulfill his duty as a good citizen, and he has done so. At the same time I taught him also to observe the Sabbath on Saturday, when it would not hinder him from fulfilling his duty in the army. Now I do not want that he shall be dragged either to the stake or the church to observe the Sunday as a Sabbath. Your Excellency will observe in this my writing that I am not very well versed in the English language, and if there should be found a word which is not right, pardon it, and never such a word shall be construed so as if I would offend your Excellency or the people; for I love my country, the Constitution, and the Union, and I try to be always a loyal citizen.

I remain, respectfully, your most obedient servant and fellow citizen,

B. BEHREND
Narrowsburg, Sullivan Co. N.Y. Dec. 4, 1862

ווען די ערד אין אירופא האט געברענט, און היטלער ימ"ש האט זיך געגרייט איינצונעמען די וועלט און אומברענגן דאס אידישע פאלק, האט דער פאפולערער אינדיאנער שלום אקטיוויסט, מאהאטמא גאנדהי, געשריבן א בריוו צו היטלער ימ"ש און זיך געבעטן ער זאל איבערטראכטן זיין שריט. די בריוו איז צום סוף קיינמאל נישט אנגעקומען צו היטלער ימ"ש:
Dear friend,

Friends have been urging me to write to you for the sake of humanity. But I have resisted their request, because of the feeling that any letter from me would be an impertinence. Something tells me that I must not calculate and that I must make my appeal for whatever it may be worth.

It is quite clear that you are today the one person in the world who can prevent a war which may reduce humanity to the savage state. Must you pay the price for an object however worthy it may appear to you to be? Will you listen to the appeal of one who has seliberately [sic] shunned the method of war not without considerable success? Any way I anticipate your forgiveness, if I have erred in writing to you.

I remain,
Your sincere friend
M.K.Gandhi

איך וועל פאר איצט מסיים זיין, און ברבות הימים צולייגן אויב געפין איך עפעס אינטערעסאנט.
רעדאגירט געווארן צום לעצט דורך 2 אום אפטעמיסט, רעדאגירט געווארן 0 מאל בסך הכל.

דער אשכול פארמאגט 5 תגובות

איר דארפט זיין א רעגיסטרירטער מעמבער און איינגעשריבן צו זען די תגובות.

רעגיסטרירן איינשרייבן

רעאגיר