וואס איז אייער מיינונג וועגען די ארטיקעל וועגן בארא פארק?

ארטיקלען און באטראכטונגען איבער דער חרדי'שער געזעלשאפט און קולטור
רעאגיר
באניצער אוואטאר
וועטערבאריכט
חבר ותיק
חבר ותיק
הודעות: 2205
זיך רעגיסטרירט: דאנערשטאג יאנואר 08, 2015 5:35 pm
האט שוין געלייקט: 134 מאל
האט שוין באקומען לייקס: 4540 מאל
קאנטאקט:

וואס איז אייער מיינונג וועגען די ארטיקעל וועגן בארא פארק?

שליחה דורך וועטערבאריכט »

די ארטיקעל גייט ארום וועגען בארא פארק, עס איז פון yeshiva world . איך בין זייער נייגעריג וואס די קאווע שטיבעל עולם האלט דערפון.

bp[By: Isaac Kohn]

Yes. The community has dozens of Yeshivas, Seminaries, Kindergartens and Kollelim. Hundreds of Shuls are dotting every corner, the middle of the block or entire streets. Supermarkets, Glatt Kosher restaurants, pizza parlors, ice-cream and coffee shops, candy outlets and take-outs line 13th Avenue, 16th, 18th and everywhere in between. Clothing, shoes, pharmacies and all sorts of other stores and outlets catering to the growing community. And here is where the problem arises.

Boro Park has become a filthy, over congested enclave, a ghetto. Where once single homes stood, today, multi-floored buildings have been erected. Where once dainty gardens lined the streets, today, new high-rise buildings are built on practically every inch of space. Wall to wall to wall the new construction rises four or six or eight floors with anywhere from eight to twenty-four apartments (more, lately) in each building. Where once a single or two-family house stood, today that same square footage has a hundred-and-fifty people occupying the space. Needless to say, finding a parking space is close to nil and the situation is getting worse by the day as more and more apartment buildings are going up. Where are the in-coming thousands of additional cars going to park? Who cares!
e!
Haphazardly parked cars block the pedestrian-walk and drivers park on the crosswalk without blinking an eye. People clean their cars by dumping into the street empty coffee cups, soda cans, soiled napkins and pampers, leftover sandwiches, cigarette butts, excess French-fries and every other piece of refuse. In some areas the garbage that has accumulated near the steps, or on the gutter near the curb, over the winter months is allowed to sit undisturbed throughout the summer as it enhances the stink and stench of what once was a pretty and pleasant town. What, me? I should clean up this filth? I’m a tenant here, not the landlord. I’m not obligated to clean for him. So until he returns from vacation, I’d rather wallow in the dirt than pick up a broom. Revolting!

Boro Park is not what it used to be. There was a time when you could practically ‘eat off the streets.’ The cleanliness was unbelievable. The lawns were kept trim and impeccable and not a piece of paper or discarded cigarette butt could be found anywhere near a private house. The Italians who lived here, were very particular in keeping their streets clean and swept and the Jews of the time followed suite. Leaves were raked up in the Fall and garbage cans were kept with their lids tightly closed. If a can was broken it was replaced rather than left as is so that the garbage will burst through the broken seams. Did you stop to take a look at the garbage containers today? Over-loaded garbage cans are strewn everywhere, papers, cups, candy-wrappers thrown around and sticky gook oozing out from cracks in the bin. Disgusting!

Why do I need to sweep in front of my house four-five-six times a day because people don’t teach their children that candy wrappers, plastic bags, lollipop sticks and soda cans belong in the garbage can and not in the gutter or on someone’s lawn? Many companies advertise by having pamphlets thrown on the steps or stoop and they are left there for weeks at a time. Aren’t the individuals living in the houses or apartments ashamed to go up and down the stairs every day, seeing the filth and simply ignoring it? It amazes me that supposedly ‘elegant’ people have no compunction of having that kind of filth and rot around them on a daily basis.

Older and stately buildings are ripped down so that cookie boxes can be built in their stead. At times, beautiful, architecturally designed, (e.g. Temple Emanuel) structures are ripped down a step ahead of the sheriff to prevent that building from being designated a landmark and nothing is built as a replacement. Instead, the ugly lot left behind is a filthy sore and a blight on the community. But who cares?

It has become common practice that on holidays (and for many weeks beyond) supermarkets, large or small, want to enlarge their square footage in order to be able to capture as much of the purchasing market as possible. In order to accommodate the tonnage of extra merchandise, they bring in huge containers which are dropped off and parked in front and on the sides of these establishments. Needless to say, each container takes up four or five parking spots. Multiply these lost spots by the quantity of containers all over Boro Park and the number of available parking spaces, minimum as it is, shrinks by 40-60%. Why are they allowed to infringe on the rights of others? Why are they allowed to take over parking spaces which belong to the tax payer, you and I?

Many stores, especially butcher shops, set up larger tents in middle of the sidewalk in order to accommodate their packing and delivery crews and the pedestrian is forced to walk in a zig-zag fashion to avoid over-loaded boxes, crates, delivery bikes, etc. Quite a number of shops have enlarged their space by “stealing” frontage space and erecting permanent four-walled, plastic or wooden enclosures with awning, stretching many feet into the sidewalk, thus perpetually stealing public property for private use. Why are these stores permitted to usurp public property for personal use and profit? Which one of our politicians, I would really like to know, is allowing this to continue unhindered for years? Why is this theft of the use of public property allowed to continue?

Since we are speaking of these stores and businesses, I‘d like to know who gave them permission to take over the entire street in front of their store stretching to the left and right? Who gave them permission to use the sidewalks, on a daily basis, as their own, private warehouse? Why do the pedestrians have to maneuver in and out among the loads of fruit, paper goods, apple bins, soda crates and other grocery? Why do women with carriages need to go off the sidewalk into the gutter because the ‘path’ left for them by the greedy, uncaring, storeowners is just too narrow?

And…why is it that I will be ticketed by the sanitation department if I take out the recycling bin on the wrong day or too early but these stores are allowed to steal the sidewalk with their crates, delivery bikes shopping carts and mountain-high discarded boxes and other garbage? And in order to shoo away any cars looking for parking spaces, the stores reserve parking spaces for their own, private use by placing orange cones in the gutter which cuts off any vehicle from getting a parking spot – a valuable commodity in Boro Park – which was just stolen by the store. Why? This is my tax money being snatched by a private business!

Let’s not forget the school-bus phenomenon. Phenomenon? Yes. The school-bus drivers stop the vehicles in middle of the street, on the corner or anywhere else they see fit while traffic backs up. And they will stop a number of times along the street because Heaven forbid, the five or six children can’t stand together in one spot but rather need private pick-up service at their own front door. And why do I have to wait behind the bus for 10-15 minutes or longer because the mother didn’t get her brat ready prior to the bus’ arrival. Why is the child still in pajamas, hasn’t eaten yet and is not ready? The answer is: Es Kumt Mir. Chutzpa!

Did you notice too that these same yellow-buses who are making the drivers’ life a misery both on the way to and from school are not done yet in their audacity to infringe on the public? Aside from daytime parking which is prohibited, the overnight parking, they park the buses everywhere they can, which is against the law and steals parking spaces from tax-paying citizens.

(5) Bus parking on streets prohibited. No person shall park a bus at any time on any street within the City of New York, unless authorized by signs……. Notwithstanding any local law or rule to the contrary, but subject to the provisions of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, it shall be permissible for a school bus owned, used or hired by a public or nonpublic school to park at any time, including overnight, upon any street or roadway, provided said bus occupies a parking spot in front of and within the building lines of the premises of the public or nonpublic school. Read the law. They cannot park anywhere they choose in defiance of the law. But they do. So why are our politicians silent? Why isn’t the police department enforcing the law?

The absence of decency, the incomprehensible chutzpa, the lack of decorum and politeness is another sore point. Open the door for a young woman trying to enter the store with a baby carriage. Nine out of ten times not a sound emanates from her. You are expected to open the door for this young, uncouth, gift-to-humanity. A ‘thank you?’ Not even a grunt in your direction. Tell a driver that his car is idling on the pedestrian crosswalk and endangering people who need to step into the gutter and he’ll raise his finger and give you the bird. At best, he/she will ignore your outrageous audacity to remark that he/she has no common decency. How dare you reprimand me! Just go away.

Many years ago, I loved this place. I enjoyed this community. It had charm, it had life, it was a fairly decent, clean place where one wanted to grow up and later raise his children. Store owners were friendly and knew us by the first name. We were taught to respect the elders, greet our neighbors, Jew or Gentile and be polite to everyone.

That was once-upon-a-time.

(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)

- See more at: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/hea ... WQ5Q8.dpuf
רעדאגירט געווארן צום לעצט דורך 1 אום וועטערבאריכט, רעדאגירט געווארן איין מאל בסך הכל.

דער אשכול פארמאגט 16 תגובות

איר דארפט זיין א רעגיסטרירטער מעמבער און איינגעשריבן צו זען די תגובות.

רעגיסטרירן איינשרייבן

רעאגיר